Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Marriage is overrated, but I want a husband - someday

For the record, February has been the month from hell for me. I got sick during the first week of the month, then had insomnia for 2 weeks afterwards due to being sick and then I spent most of President's Day weekend cuddled up in a ball or on my couch due to crazy ass cramps and hard core period symptoms. Hopefully, this upcoming weekend will entail a return to energy, sleep and happiness, as the remenants of my cold have almost disappeared and I can go back to sleeping normally again. Fingers crossed.

Anyhoo, there was an article written a week or so ago by writer Tracy McMillan called "Why you aren't married" that has left single women feeling all types of angry (click here to read it). I personally agreed with the article; I think all 6 of those reasons are viable reasons why lots of women in this world are single. Personally, I think that I am a little too selfish and that my standards are a little too high, and maybe that's definitely why I am single. Maybe if I cut out my "must be taller than me, must possess a college degree and must be cute" rules, maybe I would find someone. Oh yeah, and let's not forget "must have good job". Lol.

But the first line states "You want to get married". I took that to mean that this article is addressing those who are single and don't want to be anymore and to those who are truly curious to know why they are single. I felt as though that statement didn't apply to me, and I just read the article for fun. Don't get me wrong - I would like to get married in the future, but not now. I'm happily single (for the most part) at this point in time. So, I don't care what Tracy McMillan thinks, or I'm not going to get all up in arms about what she has written. I just thought that the article was fun to read, and came in handy as a good analyzation tool for some people that I know (ha ha).

However, soooo many women are angry about this article. Click here to read the response article written by Jessica Ravitz on CNN on why she's happily single. I think that she took this article a little too seriously. Of course, most single women are satisfied with their single lives and don't want to get married. Of course a lot of us don't want to settle and will wait for the right guy. And of course, some of us don't want to get married at all. So why get so upset over someone else's opinion of why women are single? It's just an opinion, and Tracy McMillan isn't God. This woman is no complete and total and final authority on singledom (however, I do think she makes some good points, though).

I think that maybe one day I'll find someone and settle down. And if I don't, perhaps it is because I have some of those issues on that list as to why I am single. But I don't care. People can think whatever they want to think and judge me however they want. But I'm ok with being single and I'm not going to go all ape shit over some article that states the possible reasons why. Who cares? Why must women constantly get angry and defend their decision to be alone? Why do we always care what other women (and even men) think?

Maybe a lot of people are angry because secretly deep down inside, we all want to be married or have a man. Even us hard core feminists. Maybe we are tired of being single, tired of being pitied, tired of being a 5th wheel, or just plain tired. I'll admit, I don't like being single. I've been single (without boyfriend) for 15 years. It sucks, and I've always wanted a bf and always wanted to be married. But a good part of me is happy that I'm single. I like my freedom. I like not having to worry about someone else but me (and Sam). I like hearing about my friend's crappy relationships and being thankful that it's them and not me going through that shit (ha ha, I have to laugh a little on that).

But, singledom does get a little lonely though. Boo.

Whatever. Maybe I'll get married in the future, maybe I won't. But for now, I'm happy. Happy to be in grad school, happy to be selfish and picky, and happy to be alone. And truly happy not to care what some lady that I've never met try to define why I'm single and not give a shit what she thinks. I do want to get married in the future and will be sad if I don't. But not getting married isn't going to stop me from being and finding happiness in life, because that's what's truly important.

No comments: