Monday, May 24, 2010

The "Lost" Finale


Where to begin.... I actually liked the series finale. I thought that it was sweet. Everyone found each other in the sideways world, they hugged, they smiled, ya, ya, ya. It was a limbo where everyone could meet up and go into the light together. The show also ended with Jack in the island world with his eye closed (and ultimately his death), the opposite of him opening his eye in the pilot. Some left the island, some didn't and life went on. It was a touching and on some level, a satisfying end to the show.

However, no questions about the mysteries of the island were answered! And for that, I feel as though the show as a whole was somewhat of a letdown.

It seemed as if the Seasons 1-5 were one show, and season 6 was another. I get that the show rotated around the relationships of the cast members and what they needed to go through to find happiness in their lives. This was the whole essence of the show. But I felt as if the mysteries of the island was a big part of what the show was about too, and it is as if the creators of the show chose to abandon this aspect of the show and just focus on the characters finding themselves/happiness/redemption in the end. My opinion is, if you are going to create a show and introduce a bunch of mysterious elements into it, you should address them and explain them! How can you leave this huge aspect of the show in the dust?!?!? It just doesn't seem right; the show feels incomplete on some level as a result. And after reading all of the various blogs, most people feel just as jipped about this issue like I do.

Perhaps you could just come to a conclusion that whatever happened on the island happened and not everything has an explanation, but that seems like an easy way out. Life in a sense is like that; but I feel as if there were just too many interesting mysteries on the show that were introduced to just kind of write it off as "whatever happened happened". Boo!

As touching as the finale was, the show for me on some level was a failure, because they didn't address these mysteries of the island. On the other hand, I did like the fact that the show was well written and that I really did feel a connection to the characters. And that was what made the show a success. But I feel as though a show shouldn't not create sub plots that generate a plethora questions that it has no intention of answering. I understand that not all questions in life have answers, but damn! As Meredith Grey from Grey's Anatomy would say "Seriously, Lost. Seriously."

I was going to go back and finish watching Season 2, but since I know that I will not find out anything new that I don't already know or will never know, I think that I'll just skip it.

Kudos to the show for being well written, but next time, I want my questions answered!

1 comment:

Miss Scarlet said...

maybe more island mysteries will be solved on the DVD when it comes out.