Monday, November 25, 2013

What happens when you write in a bar


No, I am not shopping for a gun. However, I did spend some time this weekend looking up the type of guns that the CIA carry for my spy novel, so it can be as accurate as possible.

Funny story... Serena and I were busy writing our novels for National Novel month at Rio Grande Café in their bar area this past Saturday when I realized that I needed to find a gun for my protagonist, Colton, to carry with him. I didn't want him to carry a PPK, like James Bond, since that would have been too cliché, so I googled "what type of guns are carried by CIA agents".

The gun, pictured, is a Springfield 1911. It looks like a pretty fierce gun, and I figured that Colton could do some damage with that bad boy. I then clicked on Google Images and brought up several pictures of this type of gun. As I turned away to talk to Serena about it for a bit, a guy sitting next to me suddenly asked me "Hey, are you shopping for guns?"

I turned to him, mortified, and said "Oh no! I'm just looking up the type of guns that are carried by CIA agents. It's totally for the spy novel that I'm writing. I'm just trying to make it accurate. Please don't think I'm out in the open looking for one."

Serena laughed when I said that. The guy then let me know that he had a job where he was some type of gun expert (he looked like he was in the military), and recommended that I consider having Colton use a Mue soc .45 or a Springfield 1911. He said that's what agents usually carry, since they can unload and reload them pretty easily.

"Oh wow, thanks so much!" I responded to him, still mortified, especially since I didn't want this guy to think I was a loon. I chatted with him and his friend that was sitting next to him for a little bit, and then they paid their tab and they left.

Serena said to me not too long after that "Well, that's one way to meet guys."

Hee hee. I was embarrassed, but the incident was kind of funny.

Still working on the novel... I may hit 10,000 (I'm only at 3850... good luck to me) words by Saturday evening. We'll see.

No comments: