Friday, November 15, 2013

Novelling


Yes, I'm writing a novel.

I'm doing it for National Novel month (or whatever it's called... click here for the link) and I'm about 2500 words in.

I've actually been writing my spy novel (hence the James Bond photo of my favorite one, Pierce Brosnan) for about 2 months and counting now. I'm kind of stuck. My protagonist has been in his hotel room thinking about his life for awhile now. I need to get him off and running so that he can save the world from the chemical attack that my antagonist is planning.

Ambitious? Yes, I know. I hardly know anything about the CIA and spies outside of James Bond movies. I did do a little research last Saturday and realized that I know a lot more than I thought I did, however. I actually know that spies don't kill people every five minutes and that most of what they do is track down leads and pass information from their informants to their superiors. It made me happy to know that I haven't been busy writing a novel that is completely unrealistic. Whew.

My protagonist's name is Colton Lane (I love his name). He has a love interest named Katerina, and she's like, the femme fatale to end all femme fatales. Ok, I may be a little over the top with that statement, but she's pretty cool. They team up together to take down The Master, an elusive figure who's trying to sell off a chemical device to the highest bidder and prevent him from creating chaos in the world. Or something like that. I'm still ironing out all of the details, about The Master's end game, but that's my novel in a nutshell.

I've been really excited to write this novel, but I've seemed to hit a brick wall at 10 pages. That's how all of my writings go. I hit the 8 to 10 page mark, and forget about it for awhile (and awhile equals years, sometimes). I'm really trying not to do this this time around, but old habits die hard.

Anyhoo, I'm going to try and get going with my story in the next 2 weeks. I don't anticipate on having 30,000 words down, but maybe 10,000? That would be a huge milestone to reach for me.

No comments: