Monday, November 8, 2010

No more meat

So it's officially been a week since I've had some dead animal, and I must say, I'm doing pretty well without it. Now don't get me wrong, I've had a few cravings that I almost wanted to give into, but I've held out. Mostly because I could hear my co-worker Jabari's voice in the back of my head saying "I told you that you wouldn't last a week!" I wanted to make sure that I proved him wrong, especially since it hasn't been that long.

Now he's convinced that I won't last another week. Ye of little faith!

I'm in this for the long haul. I can make it to New Years, I know it.

The interesting thing about not eating meat is that it forces you to get creative with your meals. I'm trying to find dishes to make that contain beans, tofu (I'm warming up to eating it) and of course, veggies. It's a little frustrating too since my options are now limited. It seems like beef is everywhere! It reminds me of when I quit smoking: when I smoked, I only encountered a few smokers, or it seemed like no one I knew smoked at all. Now, I swear, everyone smokes! I smell smoke all of the time! I see beef everywhere when I think of food. It's rough, man. But I know it's all going to be worth it in the long run.

Cutting out soda isn't hard, though. I've done that before, so it's no biggie. And plus I can buy Izze sodas at the grocery store (naturally flavored carbonated soda without all of the artificial sugar... click here to visit the site), so it's all good.

I do miss steak and hot dogs. I could live without chicken, other pork products and lamb, but I have a little space in my heart for steak and hot dogs. I miss them the most. Perhaps I'll shove a hot dog in on New Years Day, who knows. Or maybe, if I stick to this diet permanently (we shall see), I could invent the fish hot dog? Would that even taste good? Hmmm. It sounds gross, but hey I'm creative!

No comments: